EXPRESS MIXLR BROADCAST

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

CATCHING UP WITH "JONESY"

Here's a good feature from the Colorado Avalanche website on getting to know former Express Captain David Jones.

Monday, 11.21.2011 / 5:27 PM / News By Ron Knabenbauer Even though David Jones is the lowest player drafted in Avalanche franchise history to make it to the NHL (ninth round, 288th overall), it has not stopped him from playing an important role in the Colorado offense the past five seasons.

The British Columbia native has 54 goals and 92 points in his time with Colorado, including seven goals and five assists (12 points) in 21 games this season.

Jones talked with us after Monday’s practice at Pepsi Center about married life, his college playing days and what he likes to do off the ice.

How is it practicing at Pepsi Center on a non-game day?“I like it. It is a lot closer to where I live so it is nice just to have a 10 minute commute instead of a 15-20 minute commute. Hopefully it helps us turn things around.”

You just got married this past summer, how has married life been?“It is great. We’ve been together for a long time so I can’t say it is a whole lot different. It was great this summer to get all of the friends and family together all in one spot. It was a great day and a great weekend for everyone.”

How had playing three years of college hockey at Dartmouth College helped you in the NHL?“It was huge for me because I developed pretty late. I didn’t grow when I was 15, 16 like a lot of these guys who played major juniors so it gave me an extra three years to develop. When I was 22, I made the jump to here and I think it was those three years that really helped me develop as a player and as a person.”

Ryan O’Byrne played at Cornell University, do you remember playing him in college?“Yeah we have played against each other for a long time. He grew up in Vancouver Island so we played against each other in minor hockey league tournaments. There is actually a funny story, it was in Atom or Peewee and there was a shootout in one of these tournaments and they picked one guy from each team and the winner got a pizza lunch for the whole team. There was like 50 teams so 50 guys shooting and it was just me and him left in the final two. He scored and I didn’t so I’m never hearing that one down. We’ve played against each other our whole lives, juniors and then college so it is cool that we both ended up here and it’s been great getting to know him more and seeing him around the rink all the time.”

You got your first two fighting major penalties of your NHL career this season, what were those experiences like?“It was definitely something different. Going to college you don’t have the opportunity because you are wearing a facemask. I fought a little bit in juniors, but it was definitely not something that I built my game around. Sometimes it just happens. The first one (Nov. 10 vs. Steve Staios, New York Islanders), their guy threw one of our guys into the back of the net and it is something that you have to show up and stick up for teammates no matter if you are a fighter or not. In the second one (Nov. 17 vs. Justin Falk, Minnesota), I think I hit a guy pretty good and he kind of took exception to it. You just have to stand in there and show up. That is the whole point about it.”

David is among a handful of Avalanche players participating in "Movember" to help raise awareness for men's health, specifically prostate cancer.

What kind of response have you received from your Movember moustache?“I don’t think my wife is too happy about it, but it is for a good cause so it is the least I could do – just not shave the top lip there.”

What do you like to do outside the rink to help you relax?“The basic stuff, go see movies and just get my mind off of hockey the best I can. I know a lot of guys watch a lot of hockey and watch a lot of sports when they are away from the rink. I’m not one of those guys. I like to separate the two and when I have the day off I like to relax. I have a couple of dogs that I’ll take for a walk or go out to lunch with my wife. I like to get my mind off of hockey when I have a chance.”

Do you have any hobbies?“I bought a guitar last year and I have been kind of working at that. I don’t have the skill like (Matt) Duchene or any of those guys, but I’m working on it. I watch a lot of T.V. shows and read quite a bit.”

No comments: